Friday, August 8, 2014

Self-Compassion a key to success?

I am not an avid reader of Go Kaleo, but often find myself on her site as other articles I read recommend her blog. Today I stumbled upon this entry about self-compassion. https://gokaleo.com/2014/06/03/self-compassion-an-excuse-to-be-fat-no/

I think this is an excellent read and really helps put things into perspective, especially if you are struggling with losing weight. The ability to forgive your mistakes and move on will not only help you be successful at losing weight, but also can be applied to everyday life. You are not perfect, you will never be perfect and you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it.

Here are some traits of people with high self-compassion.

People who were more self-compassionate were more likely to be motivated by how a behavior made them feel, and less likely to be motivated by how it made them look…
…People who were more self-compassionate tended not to believe that their problems were worse than everyone else’s (what I see as victim-mentality), and tended to be more optimistic
…Self-compassionate people had fewer negative feelings and showed less anxiety and self-consciousness
…Self-compassionate people tended to react to difficult situations in a more balanced and stable way, and to have a more realistic perception of their own strengths and weaknesses...

Do these apply to you? Take the quiz below to see. My results are below!


_______________
I had always wondered why I was successful at losing weight on my first try, why didn’t I get stuck in that pattern of yoyo dieting and binge/ restrict. I had ideas about why, but was never able to put it into words. It turns out I have high self-compassion.

In fact, when I took the quiz below I got 4.25 where anyone between 3 and 5 has high self-compassion.
I may have always had these traits, but I did not realize I did until I started losing weight. As I lost weight, I became more aware of who I am as a person, and more confident in my abilities.


I also think that it helps that I never hated myself even when I was at my heaviest. I wasn’t happy with a number of things, but I definitely didn’t hate myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment