Friday, March 28, 2014

On to the next one.


Four weeks and a rest week later, I am ready to move on to New Rules of Lifting Basic III.
I probably could have done a couple more weeks of Basic II, but I was exhausted and really needed a week off, so it seemed like a good point to switch it up and after setting up the workouts in JEFIT I am really excited to start Basic III!

But first, here is my thoughts on Basic II.

Once again, I followed the sample routine and didn’t change anything. I did each workout 6 times and did manage to add weight/ or reps each time I did the workout. I can’t tell you how exciting it is to add more weight and still be able to do the exercise.

I also officially maxed my weights on dumbbell lunges. Not because my legs couldn’t do them, but because I couldn’t hold the dumbbells anymore! This means all future lunges will be done with a barbell. 

My A Day looked like this:
1.       Half kneeling static hold (used bands for this)
2.       Romanian Deadlift + Row
3.       Dumbbell Rear lunge
4.       Swiss ball hip extension (carry on from Basic I)
5.       Split stance row (used bands for this)
6.       Push up

My B day looked like this:
1.       Push Away (planks with moving one arm forward)
2.       Jump Squat with weight
3.       Offloaded step up (dumbbell in one hand)
4.       Jack-knife push-up with elevated feet
5.       Barbell Front squat
6.       Single Arm pull downs.


Of these 12 exercises I found the step-ups and the lunges the most difficult. This was mainly because of the dumbbells and the fact that I found it hard to hold that amount of weight for any amount of time. I think I hit 70 lbs (2x 35lbs dumbbells) for lunges and 45 (1x45lbs dumbbell) for the step-ups.

This was also the first time that I have ever used a barbell, and while it was intimidating at first, I actually prefer it now to dumbbells. I really want one for my home set-up!
I did find the front-squat a little awkward and hard on my wrists and I am glad to move on from that.

My goal is to try all the exercises at least once so that I can see what works for me and what doesn’t.


I also had to work out one day at home and this routine did not work so well. I have to make sure that I have a set of alternate exercises that I can do at home instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment