Friday, March 28, 2014

Favorite Fitness Technology

I used a lot of technology to assist with my weight-loss and continue to use them for maintenance. I am not sure I could have done so well if I didn't have these awesome tools. Well... I prob could have, but these tools make it easier and a lot more fun. So here are my favorite technological tools for fitness.

1. My smartphone (Samsung Galaxy SIIX) & My Tablet (Motorola Xoom & Dell Venue 8- Android)

While this phone is getting a little long in the tooth, I have a special place in my heart for this device. It was on this phone that I discovered MyFitnessPal and all the other apps that I would use to lose weight. The ability to track my walks/runs on the phone was also very important for success.

The Xoom (and then the Dell) came along later, but just allowed me to expand my app library and take my fitness to anther level. The ability to watch videos wherever I went, meant that I was not limited to where I could work out. I went on holiday in July and was able to maintain my workout schedule because of my tablet.

2. Google Play - Apps
There are so many fitness related aps out there that you never have to set foot in a gym if you don't want to. And that is exactly what I did. I used and continue to use a number of different apps to keep track of my workouts or to run an exercise program.

My most used apps are MyFitnessPal (of course), JEFIT pro, Runtastic/ Runtastic Pedometer, SWORKIT, and Nike Training Club, but I am constantly hunting for new ones to try out on Google Play.

3. My Heart Rate Monitor (Suunto M4)
My husband gave me this for Christmas 2012 and I don't think I have done a workout without it since. In fact, I feel naked if I workout without it and will be constantly checking my wrist. It was a big eyeopener to see what my actual calorie burn was compared to the guesstimates on the apps or fitness equipment. This model also has a set of programs to follow for losing weight or improving your fitness and these programs allowed me to get a very good idea of how many calories I burn for what amount of effort.

4. Bluetooth (Headphones and Speakers)
I purchased Bluetooth headphones to use in the gym at work and I haven't been disappointed. I didn't shell out a lot of money for them so they are not perfect, but overall they are well worth the investment. I love not having to have my phone attached to me when working out.

The speaker (another hubby gift) serves the same purpose at home. The speakers on my tablet are not great so I boost the sound when I workout.

Basically these two devices allow me to drown out the outside world and focus on my workout.








No comments:

Post a Comment