Thursday, June 12, 2014

Back and Arm workout!

My back (and arms) have turned into one of my favorite parts of my body. I never spent any time thinking about the exercises I was doing. I was really focused on burning calories, but looking back I spent a lot of time doing back and arm exercises.
The common theme for back exercises seems to be variations on pulls and rows. The exercises are not limited to these of course, but pulls and rows seem to pop up consistently when searching for back exercises.
So I figured I would share some of my favorites (or the ones I love to hate).

1.       Plank Rows
I was first introduced to these in the NTC workouts, and I hated them. I still hate them! Every time I see them in a work out I want to run the other direction. That being said, they are amazing for both back and core and are worth the effort you put into them.
If you are feeling really energized you can also throw a push up in between rows too.
f97873dee895b1f35000b78476cede0b

2.       Heavy Pants
These are essentially a bent over row, but I started doing them in P90X and Tony calls them “Heavy Pants” because the motion is like you are pulling up your pants or something like that J.
Here are step by step instructions from Global Fitness Kelowna: http://main.globalfitnesskelowna.com/2013/11/05/dumbbell-bent-over-row/
1.       Stand upright holding a dumbbell in each hand
2.       Rotate the hands so the palms are face behind
3.       Maintain a straight back and a slight bend in the knees
4.       Bend the upper body forward at the hips to approximately 45 degrees
5.        Pull the dumbbells in towards the stomach by bending the elbows
6.       Fully retract the shoulder blades
7.        Pause briefly and lower the dumbbells back to the start.
8.       This is one repetition

http://main.globalfitnesskelowna.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/dumbbellbentoverrow.jpg

3.       Lateral Pull downs
These can be done, sitting standing or kneeling, but following the wisdom from New Rules of Lifting: Supercharged, performing them kneeling or standing will be more beneficial because you have to work to stabilize your body. Having tried them all three ways, I would have to agree.
1.       Sit in an erect posture on the machine and position the knees under the supporting pads.
2.       Hold the bar with forward facing palms. In a smooth motion, pull the bar in front of the face and towards the chest while bringing the elbows closer to the torso.
3.       Pull the bar till it touches the collarbone and then lead it to its original position.
4.       Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/rhomboid-exercises.html

No comments:

Post a Comment