Friday, May 16, 2014

Finding Balance... literally!

I have been asked a few times about different exercises to achieve different things. Each time, I give a recommendation, then go back and research exercises that I feel would work well for that individual based on what information they gave me.

I really enjoy being able to help people in this way and so I thought I decided to add this to my posts.
I hope to do a weekly post targeting a certain type of exercise. So please let me know if there is something specific you want to know.

Please be aware that I am not a personal trainer, my suggestions come from my own experience. Be careful when trying new exercises and don't try too much too fast. :)

So without further ado… Exercises to achieve better Balance

Balance really comes down to having a strong core. So focusing on core exercises will help improve your balance. This doesn’t mean doing endless amounts of crunches or planks, but those things can definitely help. Increasing your core strength can be as simple as making sure you are engaging your core during your workouts.

One of my biggest takeaways from doing Insanity was Shaun T constantly reminding me to engage my core. It helped me during Insanity, and I still have his voice in my head reminding me!

If you get tired, engage your core and grab a Shaun T :D

 Here are 3 simple exercises that anyone can do to improve balance (originally found here):

1. Balance on one leg. Start by trying to stand on one leg for half a minute, then for progressively longer as your balance improves. Have a chair or another source of support at hand in case you totter. If need be, bend the leg you are standing on at the knee. This will make it easier for you to balance. So will focusing your gaze on something stationary. As your balance improves and you are able to stand on either leg longer without losing your balance, do this exercise with your eyes closed.
2. Improve your balance by closing your eyes and standing on your toes. Initially do this for half a minute, then for longer periods as your balance improves. Be sure you have support nearby when you do this.
3. Stand on one foot, then lean forward and reach toward the ground with your hand (touch the floor with your hand if you can) without letting both feet touch the floor. Once again, be sure to have support nearby in case you start to topple.
There are a ton of exercises that will help improve balance, using a stability ball and a bosu ball, but the ones below are things that I have done and enjoyed. These are a bit more advanced exercises but only use dumbbells or a medicine ball.
1.       Lunges – These staple help improve balance. Start from standing and step forward. As you improve, you can add weight.

2.       Ski Jumps with single leg lunge – This is used a lot on the NTC app which is why I am so familiar with it. Versions of it also appeared in Insanity and P90X. You can start this exercise without the weight and add it as you improve. Check out this video to see what it’s all about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPZFe5M9DUo
3.       Single Leg Deadlift – Again this is from NTC and New Rules of Lifting. Start with little to no weight, and add dumbbells as you improve. Here is a video on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eACTTzeh-E

No comments:

Post a Comment