Saturday, January 18, 2014

It's funny how things turn out...

So this week started off rather poorly. 

First of all we had a disastrous weekend with our bathroom reno. Worked hard the whole weekend and had nothing to show for it. Frustrating to say the least!

Second, I had the "tech disaster" in which I lost my training program on NTC. 

So Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent rather frustrated and at a loss for what to do for workouts. I picked a 3 day dumbbell split from JEFIT to get me through the week. It was something I could do both at home and at work. It wasn't great, but it did the job for this week and I will probably use it next week as well (with a few changes to the exercises if I have time). 

After Wednesday my week had an about face. I have found two new/different ways to challenge myself and I am really excited about getting started. 

Because I lost NTC and just was not motivated enough to start it over again, I figured I could start the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I read the book last year but never did the workouts because I lacked the equipment at home. But now I have access to the gym at work that problem is solved. 

I started researching how the workouts actually were ran because I was confused when I initially read the book. Apparently I wasn't the only one because there were loads of threads on various sites about how to actually perform the workouts. But I also discovered was that there were some new books in the series that seemed to improve upon the previous versions. 

After reading the reviews about NROL Supercharged and NROL for life  I decided that I should try Supercharged instead of NROLW. So I downloaded the book and am making my way through it now. I will start the workouts when I finish reading, so hopefully not too long because I am excited to try out the program!

One of the things I liked about Supercharged (and NROL for Life) was that it offers alternative exercises. This means I can hopefully I can set it up in such a way that I workout both at work and at home without too much fuss. 

So the plan for now is finish reading, set up the workouts on JEFIT (so I can track my progress), and then start lifting! 

The other thing that really turned my week around happened by chance. A friend happened to find out that the local Roller Derby team was having a 'Fresh Meat' night on Thursday and was going to find out about it. I have wanted to try Roller Derby for a while, but when I looked up other groups they often required tests to get on to a team, but offered no way of actually training for these tests. This group, on the other had will train you and help you pass the tests! OMG YES I'M IN!

So I signed up and now I just need to get the gear! I can't wait! And tests are the perfect way to keep me motivated. I live for tests! 

The only downside is that I probably won't be playing Softball this year (sorry Twisted!), but the opportunity to try Roller Derby is something I don't want to pass up. 






No comments:

Post a Comment