Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Strong Lifts 5x5 App Review

TLDR: Despite being limited to the StrongLifts 5x5 program, this app is one of the best workout apps I have used. It does what it is designed to do and does it amazingly well.


I have been following the Strong Lifts 5x5 program for over a month now and using the app to help track my progress.

The basic premise of the program is that you work out 3 times a week, alternating A and B workouts. Each workout consists of 3 exercises and you complete 5 sets of 5 for each.

Workout A:
·         Squat
·         Bench Press
·         Barbell Row

Workout B:
·         Squat
·         Overhead Press
·         Dead-lift

Each time you perform an exercise you add 5 pounds. In the space of a month I have gone from squatting 45 lbs. (bar only) to 115 lbs. (bar + 70 lbs.).
__
When I started the program I was looking for something simple that would let me just lift and I definitely got that with this program and app. I enjoyed New Rules of Lifting and Strong Curves, but was craving something where I didn't have to think so much. I just wanted to turn on the app and go.

That is the beauty of the strong lifts app. It is designed for the strong lifts program and performs pretty flawlessly. I have only had one hick-up with the app since I started where it didn’t calculate my days properly, and other than that it has performed perfectly.

The basic app is free but there are packs that you can purchase to make it even easier. I bought the power pack so that means I have access to all the extras. If you want to see a full list of features click here.

The app works fine without the additions, but it will definitely make yourself easier if you have some of them, specifically the warm-up sets and plate calculator. These two additions really help me to just get to work and not have to think too much about what I am doing.

The biggest limitation this app has is that it is built solely for use with the Strong Lifts program, and you cannot customize it in any way. This is only a limitation if you don’t read the description as it is pretty clear that this is all the app is designed to do. 














No comments:

Post a Comment